Friday, January 22, 2010

Social Networking

This week I have read several articles illustrating the impact social networking has had on our society, and the amount of people worldwide that use it. In the first article I read, I quickly realized was part of this 'social network'. However, my parents, grandparents, even my older brothers for that matter, have not been involved as much. Im referring to things such as facebook, twitter, myspace, classmates, etc. These are all networks that allow us to stay in touch socially with people and events all over the world.

Another article I read that I found interesting was the impact of social software in teacher education. I found it interesting that with all the current and innovate technological advances available, email still seems to be the main source of social networking online. It also lets us know that since social newtorking and social software is so common, that we also must monitor what is sent out and viewed online, especially by our youth. Just the other day, I found my 6 year old nephew searching yahoo for cars, and when cars popped up, so did a beautiful lady posing on it. Just need to be careful!

One of the other articles I read and was intrigued by referred to how technology is changing the way libraries function. I was amazed at how the different uses of social networking such as blogs, and podcasts in a library setting have evolved. Even the manner in which blogs were used to identify new books, availability, I found very interesting!

1 comment:

  1. Your point about your nephew realy hit home for me. My son and daughter both use the computer regularly (3 and 6) and the ease with which they navigate the internet is cool yet frightening. This will be something they grow up with not something that is seen as an advancement. For that reason alone we as educators need to embrace this technology

    ReplyDelete